Everyone seems to be catching holiday fever early this year! Unfortunately, many people will still find themselves behind a desk while others are out absorbing the sunshine.
Employers are urged to make sure that if any employees are going to be at work over the holiday season, the optimum fire protection measures are taken, especially if the employer is going to be leaving the office for a holiday.
Here are the most important tips to consider for workplace fire safety:
1. If you have a Christmas tree set up, take all necessary safety precautions:
· If it’s a fresh tree, make sure someone waters it daily and keep the base of the tree in water
· Keep all electrical items away from the tree
2. Make sure your fire alarms are in working order. If your fire alarms are over 10 years old, replace them. Fire alarms are absolutely essential when it comes to detecting the start of a fire in the work place.
3. Have an emergency procedure in place in the case of a fire. Your fire escape plan should be effective and building exits should not be blocked by any items. This will ensure that your employees will be able to evacuate the building safely.
4. Make sure all plugs and cords aren’t damaged and that extension cords are not overloaded. Electrical fires are often very common during the holiday season, especially when there are Christmas decorations around the office.
5. Employees should not smoke inside. Smoking is one of the leading causes of fires; therefore employees should definitely take their smoke breaks outside.
6. Give all employees a list of emergency numbers. For more information, click here.